Saturday, March 24, 2012


A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama by Laura Amy Schlitz

    I've gotten really picky about books lately.  If the opening line or the opening chapter doesn't hook me,  I might put the book aside until I feel like I have more time and energy to invest in a book.  The opening line of A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama had me engaged.  The opening chapter had me thrilled.
    Laura Amy Schlitz begins her early twentieth century novel, "On the morning of the best day of her life, Maud Flynn was locked in the outhouse, singing The Battle Hymn of the Republic." This is where the Hawthorne sisters find Maud, a spirited, outspoken orphan.  The sisters adopt her from the asylum, shower her with new clothes and other life necessities that she had lived without in her previous life.
    While Maud finds it a little strange that her new guardians wish to keep her hidden in their home, she behaves and hides in order to win their affections.  Eventually, Maud learns that she is to be part of a scheme to trick wealthy, bereaved clients in mock seances.
   Throughout the book,  I found myself rooting for Maud.  She is a lonely child, desperate for the love and affection of those around her.  Her friendship with a deaf serving lady, Muffet, gives me hope.  Her relationship with Hyacinth Hawthorne, finds me rooting against this consummate villain. 
   If you are looking for a great historical fiction, this could be your book.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment